U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) settled with 35 contractors and training providers on more than $274,000 worth of civil penalties for violations relating to the Lead Paint Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule (RRP).
RRP would apply to any window replacement on a building built before 1978. The citations were issued for things like:
- Failing to certify as an EPA-certified renovation firm;
- Failing to assign a Certified Renovator to the job;
- Failing to post signs clearly defining the work area;
- Failing to isolate the work area from the rest of the home's interior and cover the floor of this area;
- Failing to give property owners a lead hazard information pamphlet;
- Failing to establish and maintain records certifying that RRP rules were followed;
- Failing to clean the work area until no dust, debris or residue remained after the job.