The two roofers, Steven Kenney and Jeff Kruggel, reacted immediately. Although they didn't know it at the time, the man trapped inside the house next door could not walk and was in bed when the late morning fire broke out. They saw a woman leaving the house, who told them there was someone inside, so the pair crawled through smoke at floor level and made their way to the man's bedroom. The 77-year-old suffered only minor injuries related to smoke inhalation. "That's why it is so important that they responded," a Portland Fire & Rescue spokesman said. "He couldn't get out himself." The cause of the blaze, which started in the basement, was apparently an electrical failure.
Read more >