Boys Town, founded by Edward J. Flanagan in 1917 in Omaha, Nebraska, began in a boarding house and later moved to a farm on the outskirts of town where it grew to include a school, dormitories, and other buildings. It's now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The tile roofs took a beating in hail storms in 2013, and the organization took advantage of a new state tax credit, which is providing more than $3 million for the roof replacement work, 20% of the total cost. In order to preserve the historic status of the buildings, any exterior changes must match the original structures. The roofs haven't been replaced since the 1930s, hence the imported, handmade tiles from Turkey. It takes six weeks or more to install tiles on a single roof, with larger buildings stretching that to eight. Work began in the summer of 2014, and should be complete by the end of next year.
On the Job
Read more >