The new roof was being installed on the engineering building at the Baton Rouge campus last month. By the time firefighters got to Patrick F. Taylor Hall at 8:30 p.m., flames were lighting up the night sky. Later, officials said the fire started when hot tar left on a mop ignited after the mop was "improperly stored" at the end of the day. The state fire marshal cited the roofing contractor with four violations. No one was inside the building at the time, and there were no reports of injury. It took firefighters about an hour to bring the blaze under control. Investigators estimated damage at about $50,000 but said there was minimal water and smoke damage even on the roof.
Read more >